Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Parenthood........

I had this thought several days ago: The Christian walk is a lot like parenthood. I know that some of my thoughts might be construed as strange and weird to some but please just allow me to explain.

Parenthood, sometimes can begin with a well thought out planned event, everything well prepared for; finances, home, job. Everything is taken care of. Other times nothing is prepared and it comes as a total shock and surprise. One is researched and the other just happens.

 Whether it is planned for, or it just happens, parenthood is still parenthood. Either way it happens the result is the same.

The birth of the child is not the extent of parenthood, all those who are parents know that the birth of a child is just the beginning. There is much ahead for the new parents, and no matter how prepared for parenthood they are, there is always something that they weren't prepared for. A couple can provide the best  for their child with nothing but the best intentions. Only to find that they have a constant battle with their child. Why is this so tough?

Parenthood takes a lot of work, it doesn't come with an instruction manual, although there have been several books written on the subject. Luckily we have our parents and grandparents to turn to for advice.

Now I know that I haven't covered all the areas of parenthood, but enough for a comparison.

So here is my comparison: The Christian walk can also start as a well researched plan, a person can be searching for something in thier life and find Christ, or they can be totally surprised and shocked to find Him without warning. Whether it is planned or spontaneous the result is the same. But finding Christ is not the extent of Christianity there is so much more.

Walking the Christian walk is a lot of work no matter how prepared I am, there is always something that happens to make a me ask; Why? Luckily I do have a guide book the Bible to help me through the tough times, I also have those who have walked the walk ahead of me to ask for advice.

I guess the point that I'm trying to get across is that Christianity as with parenthood is not finished with the birth or rebirth, It is a constant journey, Just like no two children are the same, not every person's Christian walk is identical.Some children are easy to raise (just ask my mother), others are a real trial. In the same way some people have a real easy time walking the Christian walk, others struggle with their walk.

So what do you do if you have a problem child.....do you just give up? I guess that some people do but does that make the problem go away? In the same way what do you do if you are struggling with your Christian walk, do you give up and walk away? ........I guess that some do, but does that really solve anything?.

Just my thoughts ===Skid===

1 comment:

  1. Hey just came across your blog there ... will be adding you to my reading list! Nice post. I am in the process of writing an article on parenting and love the slant you put on relating it to christianity. My post will be about Parenting in general.

    Please take a look at my blog, I'm sure you will find something there of interest/encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete