Monday, April 12, 2010

The Wonderful Cross

I have listened to,and quite often sung the song "The Wonderful Cross", but Easter Sunday during church I didn't sing, instead I took a different approach. I actually read the words. I was amazed at the message that I have missed. I have gotten used to saying the words without really thinking about the message in the song. I am not saying that I don't believe in the Power of the Cross, quite the opposite. I am saying that I have gotten real good at living the "Christian life" without thinking. I think that there might be a lot of others that might be in the same boat as my self.

The freedom that we have in this country I think is partly to blame....now I would not trade my USA for any other. I am just saying that we get used to having everything that we need and sometimes all that we WANT. What if we were forced to give up just a little of those freedoms. Lets say just for the example, lets say The Government felt that Football was wasting to much energy, you know all the TV stations broadcasting uses quite a lot of electricity. I am sure that there would be quite a uproar over that. What if we were asked to give up the Bible because it was causing dissension with the populace, you know all those "Thou Shalt Not". How many people would fight for that freedom? How about our freedom of speech? Our freedom to bear arms? Freedom to assemble?

We have it quite good here in the good ol' USA. A lot of men and women died for those freedoms that we hold so dear. But you know what?.......Christ died for freedom.... He died so that we could be free. But He didn't die so that we could just LIVE free. He died to set us free. Free from sin. I did not say free from sinning. Although I wish that were true, life would be so much easier if I didn't ever have to worry about losing my battle to temptation. Christ suffered a cruel and lonely death, even His Father in heaven had to turn His back. Christ died for someone that didn't even know Him, never heard of His teachings, never heard of His miracles. He died for someone that could care less about the feelings of others. He died for that one that we see on the street corner, you know the one that we avoid eye contact with as we drive by.He bore the pain of crucifixion for that one in prison that murdered.

I have missed a lot by just existing, instead of living for the One that saved me from a life of sin and loneliness.



When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride
Chorus:
Oh, the wonderful cross
Oh, the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die
And find that I may truly live
See from his head, His hands, His feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown
Chorus:
Oh, the wonderful cross
Oh, the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die
And find that I may truly live

Oh, the wonderful cross
Oh, the wonderful cross
All who gather here
By grace draw near and bless Your name
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

The last two lines say it all: Love so amazing,so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all.
===Skid===           

No comments:

Post a Comment